31 May 2012

California


On the plane ride to California, I read Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative by Austin Kleon.  When I finished reading it, I thought for a bit, then I read it again.  And again. I read the book three times on that plane ride, just to make sure that I absorbed every piece of wisdom.  It was a book that made me think and realize I needed to get up and start working.  It really made me think, more than anything else had.  Most of all, it made me realize some very important things.

As a lot of people may know, photography is and was a big part of my life.  When I realized I wanted to be a computer animator, I knew I had a lot of catching up to do with my drawing.  So I quit my 365 project on flickr and I barely picked up the camera from then on.  From my camera being something that I never left the house without to nothing more than something that sat on the shelf collecting dust, it was devastating.  Austin Kleon explained that after he stopped making music to focus on his writing, there was something missing.  It wasn't until he started making music again that his work improved.  

I missed taking photos, I missed exercising that part of my creative brain.  So i'm going to start up taking photos more regularly again, and we'll see how the two combine. 

Thank you, Austin, for making me realize how much I missed my camera.


As for California, that trip was life changing in itself.  We went everywhere: Sacramento, Folsom (even a nice little adventure with Folsom prison....), Vallejo, Emeryville, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Venice Beach, Lake Tahoe.... It's been something I've been wanting to do for a long while, and I can finally cross it off my bucket list.  I can't wait to go back.  Here are a select few photos from the trip.

Enjoy.
















4 comments:

  1. These photos are awesome, Carla! Definitely great inspiration for some new pieces... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing! I would love to see more of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mang, I love these photos in a serious way

    ReplyDelete