29 April 2012

perspective projects

Value Study (digital)

Final (in markers).  Markers are so hard to grasp.  I feel like I'm getting better at them, but they don't come easy.  A lot of the colors in here are over-saturated, but that's to be expected with markers.


The 'Trojan Horse' assignment.  I'm not completely happy with this, but I did a completely new process and so it was a good learning experience.

23 April 2012


trying to teach myself color so i've been doing this quick 20 minute color studies from photographs.  I try not to worry about the forms or the actual drawings, but rather replicate the colors that went into them.  The first one is color picked, the second one is not.

(photo by Megan Breukelman of myself)

(photo is my own, taken of my roommate)

I did a study of another photo but I cannot find the source to it.  

Also, I've been wanting to experiment with pastels for a long time, so yesterday after I finished a project I decided to try it.  Cameron taught me his process of using pastels and really mentored me through creating this portrait.  Though I like the results his style achieved, I want to branch out more and see what I can discover on my own.

  Here's my 2am morning beginning to something that I may end up liking.  Sorry for the bad webcam photo.  If I finish this and like it, then I'll scan it.
Used black and white photo reference.

14 April 2012


For figure, we have ended our unit on drawing people (which makes me quite sad, so I've been continuing going to FEWS in order to sharpen those skills).  But, we are now on animals!

They're so quick and speedy and so hard to capture gestures of!  

03 April 2012

more figure

We did realistic figures (15min) in class, then had 15 minutes to create a character from it, then we had to take one of these ideas and create an illustration with a background and a story for it.  I'm not completely happy with all of these, but I like where they are going.  I might rework them over the summer.

These were the two illustrations I was happiest with:

This one I tried to do a completely different style and I wasn't as happy with it.

Each of the illustrations with their processes (before revision):

Here is the extra figures we had to turn in: